- You are wasting your life if you are not reading Dick Florida’s twitter feed;it’s a parody of Richard Florida’s, and it takes up the unstated class assumptions of our current celebrity urbanist.
- Philip Hensher: Why handwriting matters | Books | The Observer. The money quote:
I’ve come to the conclusion that handwriting is good for us. It involves us in a relationship with the written word that is sensuous, immediate and individual. It opens our personality out to the world, and gives us a means of reading other people. It gives pleasure when you communicate with it.
- Edward Skidelsky recommends five books on virtue over at The Browser
- They found the tomb of a Mayan Queen I am so excited I must say!!
- Bleeding heart libertarians discusses Newcomb’s Paradox and turns me on what appears to be a very cool book on the ethics of voting by Jason Brennan.
- Catholic Moral Theology takes up the problem of one church and two political parties, and the adoption of libertarianism among neocons.
- Grimm’s Fairy Tales are 200 years old, and Books on the Nightstand, a lovely blog, discusses their favorite riffs.
- This interview with Lee Child in Playboy is wonderful.
The function of a crime novel is to give us what we don’t get in real life. And what we don’t get in real life is satisfaction
- How worried about the pumpkin latte shortage should you be?(Answer: TOTALLY SHITPOOPS WORRIED IMHO)
- The Smithsonian discusses Australia’s most infamous cold case, which makes the Black Dahlia look like pretty tame stuff, unless she really does haunt the Roosevelt in Hollywood, which, since it’s gone condo, I totally hope she does. Unless she’d prefer resting in peace. We’re all about self-determination on this blog, even after death.
- Ten good books about politics in the US South from HuffPo.